123D Catch Evaluation


123D Catch Evaluation
(i have only handed in an evaluation of this project as this is all i was told was required)

For this project we were set the task of using Autodesk 123d catch to create a 3D model and composite it over real life footage. As my creative media project has a lot of motion tracking in it I decided I also wanted to motion track my model in my scene. I believe towards the end of the module motion tracking become a compulsory element anyway. 

First off I set about creating some models. I took photos of lots of things in my house, from my own camcorder to shoes, bowls off smellies and mugs. I found early on that 123D Catch didn’t like processing images taken in doors as all of my models looked terrible. I must have attempted at least ten different objects before I decided I would book out a better camera from the equipment store and try again. I got out a Nikon d50 and it made a little difference, my models were slightly better. 

I still wasn’t happy so I decided to go outside and take some photos. I came across a strange mound/sculpture which had some graffiti on it and a post box. The models for these turned out pretty well, as you will see from the files I have handed in.

As I have a decent grasp of the match moving software Boujou I decided instead to used Autodesk Matchmover, to increase my portfolio of knowledge. I found the programs to be very similar as you have to go through the same processes of entering coordinates, with Boujou being slightly more advanced as it has a better tracking engine for footage that is very shaky or slightly out of focus.

First of I attempted to track some footage I filmed in the local part but Matchmover could not accurately add track points to it. I re tried these process many times introducing track markers to my footage but it still wouldn’t work. In the end I filmed my desk and added track markers, and was able to get a very good track out of it.

I decided to composite my Sony Handy Cam model on to this and add a shadow for extra realism, using Autodesk 3dS Max to match up the model with the footage, and then Adobe After Effects to composite them together. I then did my final composition render in Adobe Premiere Pro where I also added music to the piece.

I did another track with the sculpture and placed it on my dining room table using exactly the same processes. I decided to do two to show the amount of effort that I have put into doing this project.

Over the course of this project I have learned how to use two new programs in Autodesk 123D Catch and Autodesk Machmover, which is a good thing and sets me up well for work in the future, as I will have a wider knowledge of various programs used in the film industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment